Friday, July 6, 2012

School Visits Day 3 (7/4/12)

      Visited two schools today. The first school we went to Blossom Public School. Don’t let the name fool you. It was really an affordable private school in a Muslim neighborhood. I could write pages about that experience: eye opening, eager children, NOISEY, young teachers, deja’vu  of my Peace Corps experience, are just a few descriptors that come to mind. Someone in my group called it a teacher’s nightmare. I think the tiny, about 10’ x 25’ space had 30 students all sitting shoulder to shoulder. In the afternoon we visited a government higher primary school, which really was a public school. Everyone in the group agreed the government school seemed better in terms of providing a safer, warmer and more up to date teaching environment.
     Dinner at a tandoor restaurant.
There was no space for me in the classroom in this private school in Bangalore.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Laurie,
    As I've been reading the TGC blogs, several have commented about the young age of some of the teachers (i.e. one as young as 18 or 19?). Did you get a sense of how much "college" preparation the teachers received? It seems they are just out of high school themselves and now teaching. Interesting huh?

    On another note, I'm trying to locate the blog address for Aebeyo Abraha. Another TGC fellow mentioned that he might be partnered with you. If this is the case could you let me know his blog address so I can read his thoughts as well? Thank you!

    I hope the rest of the trips goes well and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi David. Thanks for following my first ever blog! Abeyo is paired with me , but is currently not writing a blog. I will ask him to send you anything he posts. Teacher prep varies. It ranges from little or no training to teachers with masters degrees, which are teaching in the "finer" private schools. Take care.

      Delete
    3. Your first blog? Wow. It looks nice. I like how you predated the entry with the map so as to keep it at the top.

      "Little or no training" sounds rough. I'd hate to be a teacher in that situation.

      Thank you for letting me know about Aebeyo.

      Delete
  2. You descriptions are so vivid and the pictures are great. What is a school day like? Do students stay in the same class all day? Do they eat at school What about physical education? Do all children go to school? - Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carolyn. Your last question is the most perplexing question. I see "poor" students running around the streets during school time, but I guess they could be attending school during a second shift (many schools work in an AM and PM) shift. But somehow I don't think that's the case! I was the guest of honor for the inauguration of the International Space Science Club today. You'd be proud of me, I've been hanging out with cool scientist like yourself:)

    ReplyDelete