Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Taj Mahal (7/14/12)




How many pictures have you seen of the “Taj” (as people here call it)? Sometimes disappointment creeps in after a build up of anticipation…is it really going to be that big, majestic, and beautiful? The answer for me was ABSOLUTELY! The shear size of palace with the inlaid semi-precious stones in the white gargantuan marble was breath taking. What did surprise me was the lack of foreigners. I saw a few Europeans, but no Americans. Several Indian tourists asked my colleagues and me if we would pose in a picture with them. It was an unexpected surprise to witness the Indians in as much awe with us and we were with them. I suppose curiosity is universal. 
Young and handsome engineering students even asked me for a photo!
What an honor to pose for a picture with these beautiful women and children!

2 comments:

  1. Laurie - wow, you are covering a lot of territory. What was the Taj like inside? Did you take pictures? I am also interested to know about the food in India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No pictures are allowed inside the Taj, since it is a burial place. The tombs of the king who built it and his queen reside there, nothing else is inside. The food in India is delicious, but sometimes too spicy for me. So I ask for something "not spicy", which means it is prepared with just the right amount of hotness for me! Every meal consists of dal (lentils), chapatis (like tortillas), and meat (chicken or lamb) or vegetables in a savory sauce. Scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete